Prix de conservation

Le prix de conservation du FIVA

Il est très rare de voir une voiture historique, ou à vélo pour cette matière, dans sa configuration d’origine. Comme il a quitté l’usine dans d’autres mots. Un tel non seulement trouver le temps nous funes à la façon dont les choses étaient vraiment, il témoigne également le soin et le respect de ses gardiens ont montré pour lui au fil des ans. Il est un privilège de voir chromage de qualité, nous ne pouvons que rêver d’aujourd’hui, de goûter le cuir d’un genre plus disponible et admirer le souci du détail inimaginable dans le monde du temps des pressions que nous vivons.

Il est d’honorer et d’enregistrer ces icônes originales de notre passé automobile que FIVA ont créé le prix de conservation à donner à certains événements dans le monde entier. Chacune des plaques de laiton, pesant 1,2 kg, seront numérotées individuellement et enregistrés, inextricablement il un lien vers le véhicule et son gardien actuel.

FIVA Preservation Awards 2017

Téléchargez la description complète de ce véhicule tel qu’illustré par M. Gastaldi ici

Ce prix FIVA Best Preserved Vehicle a été présenté lors de l’événement Ibberbürner Veteranen Motorcycle le 4 juin 2017. L’événement a montré que de nombreuses motocyclettes non restaurées jugeaient un chania, mais l’exhaustivité de cette NSU était le point clé pour le jury à 5 têtes.

Détails techniques:

  • Numéro de cadre: 831607
  • Déplacement: 199 cm³ (56,5 x 80 mm)
  • Chevaux-vapeur: 4,5 PS
  • Type: Monocylindre 4 temps
  • Numéro de moteur: 125576
  • Allumage: Bosch Magnet Type FC1A / RS10
  • Carburateur: Amac – Typ 30 PJH
  • Chaîne entraînée
  • Engrenages: monobloc à 3 vitesses
  • Roues fort et arrière: la version optionnelle NSU 2,5 x 19 «
  • Pneus: Metzeler renforcé en acier, bloc C 3.25-19 TT 54P
  • Feux: Avant Bosch ES 150 – Arrière: Bosch, à la fois par une batterie sèche
  • Poids: 100 kg
  • Sièges: 2
  • Vitesse maximale: 65 km / h

 

Propriétaire:

  • Holger Rasch – Allemagne
  • Date de naissance: 21.08.1965

FIVA Preservation Awards 2016

1939 Bugatti 57C

  • 1939 Bugatti 57C Van Vooren Atalante S/N 57835
  • Current owner Arturo Keller, Petaluma, California.
  • Award presented by FIVA senior vice president Mario Theissen at Chantilly Arts & Elegance on 6 September 2015.

This amazing car is totally original condition and has covered fewer than 15.000 kms. Coach built by Van Vooren to drawings by its first owner Fernand Chaussivert who kept it until his death in 1955 upon which a relative, Raymond Del Monte inherited the car. Del Monte who did not have a driver’s license and stored the car at his house in the south of France, always taking meticulous care of it, until 1991 when it was bought by a collector.

A true tribute to its creators and its owners this Bugatti justly deserves FIVA’s first preservation award.

FIVA Awards ‘Best Preserved Vehicle’ to CORD L-29

as first action under UNESCO patronage of FIVA World Motoring Heritage Year

FIVA’s latest initiative to mark World Motoring Heritage Year 2016 is the presentation of a series of awards for Best Preserved Vehicle at top concours events around the world – followed by an end-of-year invitation for the award-winning cars to assemble in Paris, where they will be put on display at UNESCO’s international headquarters in the heart of the French Capital.

FIVA (the Fédération Internationale des Véhicules Anciens or international federation of historic vehicles) established the awards to recognise vehicles that retain such a high degree of their original components, materials and finishes that they can be seen as important cultural artefacts.

The first award for 2016 was presented at the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance (10-12 March), to the highly deserving c.1930 Cord L-29 (s/n 2926823) with custom body by the Walter M. Murphy Company, owned by Dan Davis of Jacksonville, Florida.

When presenting the award, Mark Gessler, Vice President of FIVA and President of HVA (the representative for FIVA in the United States and Canada), commented, “It is fitting that the recognition of this wonderfully preserved Cord L-29 follows immediately on from the news that UNESCO has granted its official patronage to FIVA’s World Motoring Heritage Year 2016. Over the last seven years, the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance has worked with FIVA and the Historic Vehicle Association to help ensure that stewardship of unrestored vehicles is widely celebrated and strongly encouraged.”

The Cord L-29 built by the E. L. Cord Company of Auburn, Indiana, was arguably the first practical production car to feature front-wheel drive and was considered one of the most elegant designs of the period. About 5,000 Cord L-29 models were produced between 1929 and 1931 in saloon, brougham, convertible coupé and convertible saloon body styles. This particular example (s/n 2926823) is one of just several Cord L-29 chassis that were sent to the Walter M. Murphy Company in Pasadena, Calif. for custom coachwork. It is the only known example of the Murphy town car body style built on the Cord L-29 ‘standard’ 137½-inch wheelbase chassis.

In the early 1950s, this particular Cord L-29 was reputedly owned by E.L. Cord’s daughter, before being sold to Fred Thorenson. Jay Hyde purchased the car from Thorensen in 1959 and maintained it in original condition until his passing in 2014. Dan Davis purchased the car at Bonhams’ Amelia Island auction in 2015. Overall, the vehicle is exceedingly well preserved for its age and among the most well-preserved automobiles from the era. The exterior, interior, engine and other mechanical components are original to the vehicle, showing the careful stewardship of its owners.

“I am honoured the Cord L-29 Murphy Town Car has received this special preservation award during FIVA’s World Motoring Heritage Year,” said Dan Davis, owner. “This is a unique car and it deserves to be recognised as an important cultural icon for future generations to enjoy.”

“My father, Jay Hyde, owned this car for over 50 years,” added Kimberly Thompson, Hyde’s daughter. “Growing up, the Cord was always considered to be one of the family. We cherished our time with the car and always knew it was something special.”

Circa 1930 Cord Front-Wheel Drive (L-29) Custom Town Car*

  • Chassis no.: 2926823
  • Model: SD (standard wheelbase = 137½ inches)
  • Engine: Lycoming in-line 8-cylinder L-head
  • Displacement: 298.6 c.i.
  • Maximum hp: 125
  • Engine no.: FD 2410
  • Transmission: 3-speed manual
  • Brakes: 4-wheel hydraulic drum
  • Coachwork: Walter M. Murphy Co. (Pasadena, California); one of four built

* precise completion date not known

1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ

  • Award presented at Villa D’Este 2016
  • The car: 1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ
  • Owner: Corrado Lopesto

The history of the car is unique, being the prototype SZ on which Ercole Spada and Elio Zagato personally worked in 1961, testing various shapes including the one shown at present on the Milano-Brescia Autostrada. The idea was to design a new shape to make the car faster since it had a hard time keeping up with the Lotus cars at the time. During the Villa D’Este show the designer Ercole Spada was present as well.

The Alfa Romeo of Mr. Corrado Lopresto has been selected to recognize a very innovative attempt to have one side of the car left absolutely original, “a is”, after many years of storage and the other side PRESERVED or conserved, working on it with sophisticated techniques to clean / fix / “rejuvenate” the original paint and metal. We had so far we have seen a few cars with one side “before” (untouched original) and the other restored, but never one side untouched and the other preserved.


According to the selection team from UNESCO and FIVA that presented the Preservation Award, is a unique combination sending out the right message: not only originality / authenticity (culture) but also trade & skills, science and education. After all, UNESCO stands for for United Nations for Education, Science and Culture Organization and all these features where demonstrated in this vehicle.

1966 Le Mans CD Peugeot

On July 10th, at Le Mans Classic Heritage Concours, a jury of four FIVA officials presented the FIVA Preservation Award to the 1966 CD Peugeot which raced at Le Mans 24 Hours in that year, driven by Alain Bertaut and Pierre Lelong. The car retired during the 6th hour, with clutch problems.Designed by famous engineers Charles Deutsch and Lucien Romani, the car was a remarkable testbed for aerodynamics and came with various designs, including the long tail with huge spoilers shown at Le Mans Concours. Since that time, it has been remarkably preserved by l’Aventure Peugeot Citroën DS, the organisation in charge of the constructor’s heritage.

A booklet on this remarkable car here

History of the 1968 Porsche 911 SWB

The car was built by Karmann in 1968 as one of 742 vehicles for the US market and shipped to Culver City/California on 18 March 1968. It was sandy beige and came with an export bumper and tinted windows as extras. The air condition was installed by the importer before delivery to the customer.

The car’s first owner (1968-1988) was John Samson, a space engineer at Howard Hughes Aviation. Being a member of a carpool club, he rarely drove the Porsche, though. He sold the car to Porsche 356 Registry club member Olaf Shipstead (1988-2001) in Santa Monica/California, who invested large sums in the 911 during his 13-year ownership. For instance, at approx. 70,000 miles, the engine was rebuilt and the worn engine block replaced by a 1968 Sportomatic engine identical in construction. In 1994, he scored the class win at the Porsche Club of America Concours d’Elegance. The car survived a powerful earthquake that same year, while parked in a garage. However, some garden chairs fell onto the car’s nose. All but one of the dents were removed (the one on the right mudguard was preserved as a memento).

In 2001, Shipstead sold the Porsche to friend and fellow Porsche 356 Registry club member Glenn Lewis(2001-2004). He replaced the original chrome wheels with Fuchs wheels. In 2004, he sold the car to Porsche 356 Registry and PCA member Allen Henderson, who promised to keep it. However, he sold the vehicle to Galen Buisson (2004-2006) from Texas later that year, who had a small patch of rust near the driver-side door repaired at Porsche expert John Willhoit’s workshop. Moreover, he had the air condition overhauled and the lacquer polished. The vehicle garnered the class win at the 2004 VENTURA German Autofest in California.

In 2006, John Willhoit Restauration sold the car on Buisson’s behalf to a Porsche workshop they were friendly with in England (PR Services/Essex), which imported the vehicle to England and then sold it to Richard Sellers from Rutland/England in 2007.

  1. Sellers (2007-2012) had the front axle supports renewed at Terry Allen’s specialist workshop (photographic evidence). He also mounted original 1968 steel wheels back on.
  2. Sellers contacted all previous owners still alive and some of the workshops by mail or e-mail to obtain details, photos or anecdotes. For the car’s 40th birthday, he travelled from England to Zuffenhausen/Germany, where Porsche welcomed him and took photos on the factory premises. He published articles about his trip and his vehicle in various British magazines (Porschepost, Carrera, Classiccars, Porsche Panorama, Car Magazine).

 

In 2008, Stirling Moss drove the Porsche with Sellers at the Goodwood Circuit, and Richard Attwood sat behind its wheel during a driver’s training at the Porsche Silverstone Driving Centre. Both drivers signed their names in the car’s door pillar. Nick Fauve, who piloted the Porsche 911T at the 1968/69 British Touring Car Championship, also signed the car after driving it.

Markus Haub bought the 911 in April 2012, transferred it to Germany and had it registered with an H licence plate. He also re-mounted the original (included) US headlamps. In 2012, the coveted FIVA Identity Card (Class A2) was issued for the car whose current total mileage is approx. 180,000km. 2013 saw Haub meet with the owner of the model produced directly after his car, bearing the next higher serial number. For the first time in 45 years, both vehicles stood side by side again. The story was published in the Motor 77 and werk1 magazines.

1902 THOMAS RECEIVE FIVA-UNESCO PRESERVATION AWARD AT PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS D’ELEGANCE

Awards Part of FIVA World Motoring Heritage Year Under UNESCO Patronage

Pebble Beach, CA (August 23, 2016) – The Historic Vehicle Association (HVA) awarded the FIVA preservation trophy to the 1902 Thomas, Model No. 17, owned by Kirk Bewley of Sacramento, California and Stewart Laidlaw of Redding, Connecticut. The FIVA preservation award recognizes vehicles that retain much of their original components, materials and finishes and as such are important cultural artifacts. The 2016 awards are part of the FIVA World Motoring Heritage Year celebration under the patronage of UNESCO.

Mark Gessler, President of HVA and Vice President of FIVA presented the awards. The HVA is the sole representative for FIVA in the United States and Canada.

In 1902, E. R. Thomas Motor Company acquired the assets of the Buffalo Automobile and Auto-Bi Company and began producing the single-cylinder, 8 h.p. Thomas, Model No. 17. The following year company introduced the much more powerful three-cylinder 24 h.p. Model No. 18 and eventually became well-known for creating durable and powerful automobiles. The company received international fame when an American team won the 1908 New York to Paris race in a 1907 Thomas Flyer. The company went on to produce automobiles until 1919.

“This 1902 Thomas is believed to be the oldest complete Thomas motor car known to exist,” said co-owner Stewart Laidlaw. “It was purchased from the Wells Museum collection in Maine several years ago which owned it for more than 60 years.” While the precise history is not known, the car was believed to have resided in Maine from new with only one wealthy owner prior to being acquired by Mr. Wells.

Stewart Laidlaw has collected and sold early brass era cars for more than 50 years. “I have a total affection for original cars,” he said. “This car is the best original early car I’ve ever seen.” Over the last decade, Mr. Laidlaw’s cars have won the pre-war preservation class at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance a record five times. Co-owner Kirk Bewley is a longtime friend. Several years ago the two drove a 50 h.p. 1912 Pope-Hartford across country. Both men are longtime members of the Horseless Carriage Club of America.

Speaking about the 1902 Thomas, Mr. Laidlaw remarked, “When we received the car we removed varnish on the fenders to uncover the original japan (black paint) on the steel fenders. An amazing feature are the leather straps in the rear seats which are still intact and typically never survive. The wood body retains its original green/gray paint, a color known as London Smoke, with gold leaf pin-stripping. The pin striping on the springs is interesting because the repeated ‘T’ outline pattern for Thomas.”

When speaking about how a car this old could be so well-preserved, Mr. Laidlaw said, “Wealthy owners sent new cars to their summer homes in Maine. The cars would be used only a few months a year and would typically be well cared for in carriage houses in the off-season. During this early part of the century, the technology was changing fast and these owners would purchase new cars and keep the older models. This is likely what happened in the case of this Thomas.”

“Eighteen years ago, in 1998, the first FIVA Preservation Trophy was established at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance to help ensure that stewardship of unrestored vehicles was widely celebrated and strongly encouraged,” said Mark Gessler. “This wonderfully preserved early Thomas motor car is an incredible example of over 100 years of careful stewardship. We are thankful to co-owners Stewart Laidlaw and Kirk Bewley for their recent conservation work and sharing this outstanding, original early automotive artifact with the general public.”

  • 1902 Thomas, Model No. 17
  • Manufacturer: E. R. Thomas Motor Co., Buffalo, NY, USA
  • Wheelbase: 76 inches
  • Body No.: 11
  • Body Type: Detachable rear entry tonneau
  • Engine: Single cylinder F-head
  • Engine No.: 12
  • Carburetor: Breeze
  • Displacement: 106 c.i.d
  • Maximum hp: 8
  • Transmission: Planetary, 2-speeds forward with column shift
  • Brakes: Band on differential

The FIVA judging team for the 2016 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance comprised FIVA Technical Commission Advisor, Adolfo Orsi; FIVA Technical Commission Vice President, Mark Gessler, FIVA Technical Commission member, Malcolm Welford; FIVA and HVA scrutineer Jonathan Stein; longtime Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance and FIVA supporter, McKeel Hagerty, Dr. Fred Simeone, Simeon Foundation Automobile Museum and Roy Miller.

FIVA preservation award at Chantilly Arts & Elegance

Chantilly, FRANCE (September 08, 2016) – The 1928 Bugatti Type 35B (s/n 4914) that won the very first Monaco Grand Prix has been awarded a preservation trophy by the Fédération Internationale des Véhicules Anciens (FIVA), at the Chantilly Arts & Elegance Richard Mille event on Sunday 4th September.

The FIVA preservation award recognises vehicles that retain much of their original components, materials and finishes and as such are important cultural artefacts. The 2016 awards are part of the FIVA World Motoring Heritage Year celebration under the patronage of UNESCO. Mr Patrick Rollet, President of FIVA, presented the award with Khalil Karam, the UNESCO Ambassador for Lebanon, and Laurent Stefanini, the UNESCO Ambassador for France.

This Bugatti Type 35B Grand Prix race car was constructed in Molsheim, France, in February 1928, and driven to victory by William Charles Frederick Grover-Williams (known as ‘Williams’) in the inaugural Monaco Grand Prix on 14 April 1929. During the 1928 and 1929 seasons, racing greats Louis Chiron, Robert Benoist and René Dreyfus also drove the car – to four other Grand Prix podium finishes. By 1931, the car had retired from racing, and was subsequently used as a road car. In 1954, s/n 4914 was bought at auction by Edmond Escudier, who owned the car until 2005, when it was sold to the present owners.

Among the most well-preserved Grand Prix cars of the period, the Bugatti retains its first paint buried under the layers of colours it displayed during its active years of racing. Chips of the paint were subjected to a sophisticated analysis by experts at Glasurit to document the colour of each layer of paint, while almost all the engine and mechanical components are those originally fitted to the vehicle. Amazingly, the leather straps on the bonnet and seats are all believed to be original – as are the Bugatti alloy wheels.

Commented FIVA President Patrick Rollet, “This Bugatti Type 35B is an exceptionally well-preserved example that still bears the original craftsmanship of the Bugatti factory at Molsheim. We are honoured to have UNESCO Ambassador Khalil Karam from Lebanon and UNESCO Ambassador Laurent Stefanini from France join us for the presentation of this FIVA World Motoring Heritage Year preservation award. Meanwhile, the owners are to be congratulated on their stewardship – and for sharing this wonderful automotive artefact with the general public.”

The FIVA preservation award jury for the 2016 Chantilly Arts & Elegance Richard Mille comprised FIVA Executive Vice President and ADAC Advisor, Dr Mario Thiessen; FIVA Vice President and President of the Historic Vehicle Association, Mark Gessler; and FIVA Ambassadors for the Middle East and South America, Rony Karam and Alec Daly.

…scooping FIVA’s final preservation award of 2016

Autoclásica 2016, held in Argentina from 7-10 October, was the venue for the presentation of FIVA’s final preservation award before the year’s award-winning cars are invited to assemble in Paris for a celebration of World Motoring Heritage Year. The celebration, ‘Paris Week’, is organised by FIVA and runs from 16th to 20th November 2016.

World Motoring Heritage Year enjoys the formal patronage of UNESCO and the FIVA preservation awards recognise vehicles that are important cultural artefacts – retaining much of their original components, materials and finishes. Since Argentina’s Autoclásica, organised by the Club de Automóviles Clásicos (CAC) in Buenos Aires, is said to be the number one classic and historic vehicle concours in South America, the team of judges had a tough challenge in picking just one winner.

Honoured by the presence of UNESCO’s Regional Director, Lidia Brito, and the Cultural Representative for Argentina, Gloria Silva, the judging team led by FIVA President Patrick Rollet finally selected the Ferrari 195 Inter, s/n 181 EC.

This remarkable Ferrari, first registered in 1952, features a Vignale body and is powered by the 2,341cc Colombo-designed V12 engine with a 5-speed gearbox. Its first owner was the renowned Italian actress Anna Magnani, who enjoyed the Ferrari for some six years. After a further short period in Europe, the car was shipped to the USA in 1959 to become part of the William F Harrah Collection in Reno, Nevada. It was 36 years later that the car was purchased by its current owner, Daniel Sielecki, who ran it in the 1996 Mille Miglia and subsequently preserved the car’s original condition in Argentina, where he shares it with local enthusiasts at such key events as Autoclásica.

Commented FIVA President Patrick Rollet, “October’s Autoclásica in Argentina was the final event of 2016 at which FIVA will present a preservation award, and choosing the winner from a selection of such beautifully preserved, important motor cars was hugely enjoyable – but not easy.”

In February 2017, the FIVA team will resume its judging duties at the Cartier Travel & Style Concours d’Elégance in India.

La FIVA (Fédération Internationale des Véhicules Anciens) avait retenu le concours d’élégance d’Hyderabad comme la dernière des huit manifestations servant de cadre à son programme d’encouragement de la préservation des véhicules historiques, programme qui a reçu le patronage de l’UNESCO. Le jury de cette classe des véhicules préservés était constitué de PatrickRollet, président de la FIVA, de M. Nitin Dossa, président du VCCCI (Bombay) et du Dr. Ravi Prakash, secrétaire général du KVCC (Bengalore), tous deux membres de la FIVA.

Le trophée fut décerné à l’unique Rolls-Royce 40/50 Silver Ghost livrée neuve en 1921 au Maharajah de Wankaner. L’auto, à l’origine carrossée en torpédo par Maythorn de Londres, reçut une nouvelle carrosserie en 1935, oeuvre de James & Co. de Bombay. L’intégralité de la mécanique est totalement originale et la voiture était accompagnée d’une importante documentation retraçant l’ensemble de son histoire. La Rolls-Royce est toujours restée dans cette même famille royale de Wankaner.

Mr. et Mme. Yuvrav Kesri Sinhji of Wankaner, tous deux largement investis dans la préservation de cette voiture magnifique, prirent possession de la traditionnelle plaque en fonte d’aluminium, dûment numérotée et frappée des logos de l’UNESCO et de la FIVA.

X